5.18.2010

a carrot you will like

Sunday's farmers' market was in full bloom. Too bad I didn't take my camera with me to capture the explosion of colorful food that lined the tables---I was too busy buying food and filling up my grocery bags with the gifts of the season. The carrots were bright orange and huge. I don't think I've ever seen carrots that big at the market before, they must have loved all the rain we got this year! Although I do love carrots, I don't really love them raw. I do, however LOVE them in soup. I took Alice Water's recipe from The Art of Simple Food but replaced most of the butter with olive oil. It turned out delicious and is even better a couple of days after you make it. You could dress it up by adding a dash of cream, thyme, parsley, green onions, or some rosemary. It is great as I made it below. We had it with a grilled portobello mushroom sandwich which I have to say is one of the best ways to eat a portobello mushroom. It is simple, filling, and amazingly flavorful. I hope you have a chance to try one (or both) of these recipes. Enjoy!

Carrot Soup

Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon butter
1 medium onion, chopped
approximately 6-8 Cups sliced carrots
2 Cups chicken stock
water to cover carrots
salt and pepper to taste
dash of heavy cream

Directions:

1. heat olive oil and butter in pan, add onions and saute until translucent over low heat

2. Add carrots and saute for 15 minutes (or longer if you have more time)

3. Add stock and water, enough to submerge carrots.

4. Using an immersion blender (if you don't have one, use a food processor or blender, just be careful not to burn yourself!) puree the soup mixture.

5. cook for another 15 minutes and up to about 45 minutes...this soup is not a science, the longer the flavors mingle the better it will taste.

6. Add salt and pepper to taste

7. Once served in a bowl, pour a dash of cream into the center, using a fork or knife make a swirling motion and the cream should create a design---you can just add the cream and forget about swirling if you want to.


8. Enjoy hot, cold, and save some for leftovers because it is even better a couple of days later!



Portobello Mushroom Sandwich
2 servings

Ingredients:
1-2 Portobello mushrooms
mayonaise (I personally love Vegenaise)
4 slices sourdough levain (we get ours from Bread and Cie, you can use regular sourdough too)
mild cheese (optional)

Directions:

1. Heat grill, once hot grill mushrooms for about 2-3 minutes per side depending upon heat of your grill.

2. spread a very light layer of Mayo on one slice of bread, cover with sliced grilled Portobello mushroom, cheese, and then cover with the other piece of bread.

3. Grill sandwich using a panini press, a George Foreman grill, or you can use a non stick skillet. Once cheese is melted and bread is toasted it is ready to serve.

4. Cut sandwich in half and serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment